North Yorkshire Advocacy works across the whole of the county of North Yorkshire to support people, particularly those who are most vulnerable in society. Advocacy is a process of supporting and enabling people to:
- Express their views and concerns
- Have their voice heard on issues that are important to them
- Defend and safeguard their rights
- Have their views and wishes genuinely considered when decisions are being made about their lives
- Access information and services
- Defend and promote their rights and responsibilities
- Explore choices and options
Qualified Advocates work side by side a client to assess their needs, listen to their views and opinions and support them to access the services they require.
Advocates will support a client in a mutually agreed safe place or in their home.
An advocate will continue to work with a client until their issue is resolved, their rights are upheld and the client feels more in control of their lives.