RESTORATIVE APPROACHES NORTH YORKSHIRE (RANY) IS A CONFLICT PREVENTION AND RESOLUTION SERVICE
Restorative Approaches is a process of bringing together those harmed by conflict, anti-social behaviour, crime or bullying with those responsible for causing that harm. The process allows everyone involved and affected to contribute to repairing the harm in a positive and safe environment.
Restorative Approaches does not offer promises to create conflict free neighbourhoods or blissfully cohesive communities but offers opportunities for disputes, upsets and community frictions to be resolved before they escalate and become costly, destructive and less manageable.
- Restorative Approaches helps those harmed recover from that harm
- Reduces the risk of similar behaviours happening again
- Builds better communities by letting those harmed be involved in deciding how situations can be made better.
WHAT IS A RESTORATIVE RESPONSE TO HARM OR CONFLICT?
Those affected are invited to share:
- What has happened
- What the impact has been on those involved: i.e. who has been affected and in what ways they have been affected.
- What needs to happen to put things right or to make things better in the future.
The framework is based on sound learning theory regarding how people relate to each other and how best to meet the different needs that can arise from conflict or harm. To facilitate a Restorative Approach, our staff are required to:
- establish a respectful rapport with people;
- listen and respond calmly, empathically and without interruption or judgment to all sides of an issue;
- inspire a sense of safety and trust;
- encourage people to express their thoughts, feelings and needs appropriately;
- appreciate the impact of people’s thoughts, feelings, beliefs and unmet needs on their behaviours;
- encourage those involved in the problem to find their own solutions
WHAT IS BEING RESTORED?
This depends on the context and on the needs of those involved. What is being restored is often something between the people involved such as:
- Effective communication;
- Relationship, and even friendship;
- Empathy and understanding for the other’s perspective;
- Understanding the impact of one’s own behaviour on others;
- Reparation for material loss or damage.
WHY CHOOSE RANY?
With over 20 years' experience of delivering services within communities of North Yorkshire, RANY applies these developed principles all our work in advocacy and managing neighbour nuisance and anti-social behavior.
- To provide all adults and young persons in North Yorkshire and surrounding areas with an opportunity to access restorative approaches as a means of resolving conflict and repairing harm
- To develop restorative communities across Yorkshire
- To embed restorative practices within organisations, schools and businesses
Our Principals of Service
Follow this link to discover more about the principals of Restorative Approaches
As a specialist provider we can work with you in a number of ways and are able to create bespoke solutions to meet your specific needs:
- individual case by case basis
- a retained Service Level Agreement
- embed restorative solutions within your workplace, working with staff & provided ongoing support and training
- group sessions within the community
Further information including how we work with different industry and community sectors is provided in the links below and we can be contacted direct on 01609 778652 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org